Opening day of the St. Francis warming shelter is upon us, and we extend a hearty thank you for all the donations and to the volunteers who have stepped up to help.
We will need more of each as we open our doors to our homeless brothers for the next 12 weeks or so. In the past, we have asked you to call Carl to donate items and to volunteer. Thankfully, you are wearing out his phone! Consequently, we’ve set up an email specific to volunteer opportunities, and we have created an in-house volunteer schedule so that we can better monitor our needs throughout the season.
If you have items you would like to donate from the list in this post and/or you would like to volunteer for one of the duties, please contact the St. Francis Shelter at:
We will respond quickly.
To review volunteer opportunities, we prepare a full meal every evening for approximately 60 homeless guests. We receive the food from the Tucson Community Food Bank and our master chef Dennis prepares the meal. Additionally, every guest receives a ‘brown-bagged’ lunch when he departs the shelter in the morning. The prepared bagged lunches are provided by the Caridad Community Kitchen. With those resources in place…
- We require 6 to 8 volunteers every evening to serve the meal, wrap silverware and to wash dishes.
- To supplement the food provided by the food bank and Caridad, we need
- 12 oz. Styrofoam cups
- Sugar and creamer
- Morning donuts for 60 homeless guests
- Cleaning supplies to include 50-gallon garbage bags
Our guests always need personal care items
- Soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors and shaving cream
- Socks, underwear, and winter clothing
Our guests spend the night on cots. In this regard, we need
- Pillows, WHITE pillowcases, and WHITE hand towels. We emphasize WHITE so that we can use bleach when we launder them
- We would like 6 to 8 morning volunteers to prepare the cots for the evening guests
If you would like to donate any of the many items we have listed in this blog, and/or you would like to volunteer with any of the tasks we need help with,
The St. Francis Shelter at
It is important to coordinate ALL donations and ALL volunteer activities through Carl. Thanks for your continued support of the St. Francis Homeless Shelter.