We are putting everything in place as we prepare to open the St. Francis warming shelter in one week. While funding is still required, we know that not everyone is in the position to make a monetary donation. We frequently receive questions regarding volunteer opportunities and non-monetary donations at the shelter.
We prepare a full meal every evening for approximately 60 homeless guests. We receive the food from the Tucson Community Food Bank and our master chef Dennis prepares the meal. Additionally, every guest receives a ‘brown-bagged’lunch when he departs the shelter in the morning. The prepared bagged lunches are provided by the Caridad Community Kitchen. With those resources in place…
- We require 6 to 8 volunteers every evening to serve the meal, wrap silverware and to wash dishes.
- To supplement the food provided by the food bank and Caridad, we need
- 12 oz. Styrofoam cups
- Coffee, sugar, and creamer
- Morning donuts for 60 homeless guests
- Cleaning supplies to include 50-gallon garbage bags
Our guests always need personal care items
- Soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors and shaving cream
- Socks, underwear, and winter clothing
Our guests spend the night on cots. In this regard, we need
- Pillows, WHITE pillowcases, and WHITE hand towels. We emphasize WHITE so that we can use bleach when we launder them
- We would like 6 to 8 morning volunteers to prepare the cots for the evening guests
If you would like to donate any of the many items we have listed in this blog, and/or you would like to volunteer for any of the tasks we need help with,
It is important to coordinate ALL donations and ALL volunteer activities through Carl. Thanks for your continued support of the St. Francis Homeless Shelter.